Behind a double transversal arch is the choir room. Romanesque groin vaults, taken over from the previous building of 1085, span the chancel, the crossing and the transept. The walls are decorated with blind arcades, echoing those on the walls of the north aisle. The south aisle was also decorated in this way until the rebuilding in the 19th century.
When the high altar was removed in accordance with the liturgical reform of the 1960s, it was replaced by a seven-armed candlestick and two gothic tabernacles built flat against the wall, together with stone statuettes from the late 15th century. The 1,55metre 15th century candlestick with fine ornamentation is of particular interest. Above it is a triunmphal arch with a silver figure of Christ, made in 1960 by Heinrich Gerhard Bücker.