An avenue lined with recently-planted linden trees leads to the Retirement Home Cloister of the Holy Cross, where floor-to-ceiling windows lend the brick building a striking lightness.
Up to 1996 this was where the convent, together with a school for housekeeping, was situated. In 1852 Dean Hermann Schulte called upon the Franciscan nuns in Heythusen in The Netherlands to run a girls boarding school in Freckenhorst. The neogothic convent and school-building, consisting of three wings, was ready for use in 1857; the school, with rooms for boarding for farmers’ daughters, became known supra-regionally, and an important element in the history of educational institutions in Westphalia. In front of the main building was a well-kept garden, and behind it a kitchen garden, and a dairy, a cheese dairy, and a wash-house, all for teaching purposes, and a pavilion for gymnastics.
In the present garden there are reminders of the history of the convent: a bell tower, a guardian angel statue, and fragments of the sandstone surround of the entrance. Behind the retirement home there is now an orchard with traditional regional apple trees. On the west side there is a “Lourdes-Grotto” with a statue of the Madonna, which has always been a quiet place for prayer.