The two gabled houses Warendorfer Straße 57 (previously Lange Straße) have an interesting history. In the 18th century this was where the Scharenberg family lived. They were responsible for restoration work in the abbey church; around 1900 the master painter König carried on this tradition with his business “vorm Franz Recker” (“previously Franz Recker”). Between 1897 and 1899 Recker played a leading role in the composition of the Nazarene painting in the abbey church. After some alterations and the use of the building as a chemist’s shop, Heinz-Josef Recker, a descendant of the sculptor and restorer Franz Recker, lived here till 2010.
On a photo from 1962 you can still see House Leffmann, the property of a Jewish family since 1739. Two so-called “Stolpersteine” (stumbling stones) in the pavement in front of the house serve as reminders of two of their descendants who were murdered in Riga by the Nazis. There are further “Stolpersteine” in front of Stiftsmarkt 13, the home of Hedwig and Ida Rosenberg, who were also murdered in Riga, and in front of Hoetmarer Straße 3, where the Michel family lived: they were taken to the concentration camp in Theresienstadt. And there is a “Stolperstein” in front of Warendorfer Straße 99, where Siegfried Elsberg lived: he managed to flee to the USA.