In the park at the north entrance to the town stands in 2-metre high letters made of steel the name Freckenhorst. It was donated to the town by the “Bürgerschützenverein” (a traditional protection guild) on the occasion of their 175-year jubilee. Included in this artwork are sculptures relating to the history and cultural diversity of the town.
The buffer stop and shed with an old coal-weighing machine are reminders of the age of the railway and the railway station in Freckenhorst.
On 19th July 1899 the railway from Freckenhorst to Beckum was put into operation, and shortly afterwards extended to Warendorf. It was the connection to the Cologne – Minden railway line. In 1956 it was shut down, and in 1973 the railway station disappeared.
With its projecting gable front, the station building, together with the furniture factory Sendker, made an attractive entrance to the town.It was a meeting of horse and steam-engine, of horse-carriage and train, old and modern times. From here the products of local manufacturers were transported to places within Germany and to countries overseas.
To the east of the park and beyond an attractive 20th century residential area is the “Landvolkshochschule”, built in 1953. It is an important adult education institute, attended by up to 20,000 participants every year.