Up to the dissolution of the convent in 1811, Freckenhorst was a “Wigbold”, which means a town-like community with courts of lower legal jurisdiction. This Wigbold law held sway within the “four posts”, which were marked by barriers on all four of the roads leading into the community.
One of the four posts was named after the stream, Spillen-Tree, on the road to Hoetmar. After World War II the painter Heinz Eickholt, who had moved from the Ruhr District to Freckenhorst, was commissioned to paint a picture based on historical accounts. The barrier has been let down as a horse and cart approaches; it will be opened when the toll has been paid.
To the left of the picture is the farmyard and cottage of the family Kindermann, later Künnemann, on whose land the families Gresshoff, Bisping and Kammerling built houses, which have since disappeared.