The Landvolkshochschule, a rural education centre run by the diocese of Münster, was founded in Freckenhorst in 1953 under the first director, Bernhard Schulte (1914 – 1984). It followed on the tradition of an educational institution for girls from farming communities, which existed from 1857 until 1973, and a school for agriculture founded in 1882, which closed in 1934.
On 2nd February 1954 the new building was consecrated by the Bishop of Münster. It is a long building with a steep roof, built in brick with design elements usual in the country architecture of the time.
Every year there are up to 20,000 course participants from Germany and neighbouring countries. There is a wide choice of courses nowadays, the emphasis no longer being only on agriculture.