The Flintrup Chapel, a simple brick construction built in 1896-99, was designed by the architect Wilhelm Rinklake. It is a single-nave chapel with a rectangular apse and neogothic pointed arch windows. The steep roof is heightened by a small bell-tower.
The site of the chapel in the middle of the farming community Flintrup is known as “Kapellenkamp”. The history of the farms and the chapel reaches back to the Middle Ages. The present chapel from 1899 replaced a delapidated, half-timbered construction from 1670, which itself was not the first chapel on the site. In the bell-tower is a bell from 1529, which was taken from the abbey in Freckenhorst, as were the 18th century baroque kneelers. It is dedicated to “Maria Heimsuchung” (The Visitation of the Virgin), which is indicative of its close connection to the pilgrims’ way from Freckenhorst to the Pilgrimage Chapel of the Virgin in Buddenbaum.
The care and custody of the chapel is in the hands of the Flintrup farming families, an intact traditional neighbourhood.