In common with all monastic settlements in the Middle Ages, the Freckenhorst convent, founded in 851 by the Saxon nobleman Everword, featured a cloister. The south and west wings, dating from 1230, with their double columns and triple arches in blind arcades, are still there. The front of the east wing of the arcade can still be seen in the masonry. On the inner wall of the south wing are the names of all the abbesses from 851 to 1811.
The 17th century buildings above the cloister, a curia for the canonesses and a canonry, have long disappeared. From 1957 to 1962 the convent buildings were re-designed to make room for a clubhouse in the south wing, and an enclosed walkway to the parish house over the west wing.